Growing up, I loved cheddar and broccoli pasta. So here is my version. I got creative one night in the kitchen, and my husband and I loved this. A healthier version of one of my comfort foods. It’s essentially mac and cheese with veggies – but it is oh so good!
What You Will Need:
pasta, your favorite shape, 3/4 pound
cauliflower, frozen, 1 cup
garlic, 4 cloves, diced
onion, small, half, diced
margarine/oil, 3 tablespoons
flour, 3 tablespoons
skim milk, 2 1/2 cups
extra sharp cheddar, 2 cups
broccoli, frozen, 2 cups, diced finely
salt & pepper
1. Cook the onions in sauce pan until the become soft.
2. Add the garlic, and cook until you can just smell it.
3. Next add the flour, stir until incorporated. Cook off raw flour taste.
4. Next add the milk.
5. Cook until bubbly, stir in cheese! It will be thick and cheesy. Add salt & pepper to taste.
6. Cook the pasta as directed. Add the cauliflower the last minute of cooking in the boiling water to heat through. Drain and return to pot. Add the cheese sauce.
7. Stir in the finely chopper broccoli.
8. Place in a baking dish, top with breadcrumbs and parm cheese. Bake in 375 degree oven until bubbly and top is golden brown.